Friday, December 22, 2023

What does an International Management Consultant and a Stable Hand have in common?

 

         

Since my home and office are located in the Ozark mountains, I spend a lot of time living in my head. Surround by God’s creation and beauty, the seclusion and solitude afford me the opportunities for reflection on a lot of things. The follow is just one example i.e., thinking about the role of work, and what it means to be an employee.

Having served (and presently serving) in both occupations, I’ve had an opportunity to consider the question posted above at an up-close and personal level.


> At a very fundamental level it’s to provide a needed 
service.

> To exchange effort and or knowledge for agreed upon compensation.


> To meet the customer(s) requirement or expectation


> To use God given gifts and abilities, mental or physical the best of our ability to accomplish those goals.


> Work done well brings a sense of personal accomplishment as we put our God-given talents and abilities to use. When our work helps others, it becomes a way to serve them.


                                               Additionally, for me…


> As a follower of Jesus Christ, to be “salt and light” wherever I’m planted


> To be a good example to my grandkids and/or others who may be watching


As a leader, both at home and in the workplace, I believe it critical to go back and cover the basics and remind ourselves and others the purpose, motivation, and the necessity of WORK.


Why? Because we live in a world where the value of work has diminished, especially in the U.S. and other developed countries. For so many in the workforce today it’s about “me” and what “I’ can get. Seems as though we now live in a world of a “you owe me “mentality, that capitalism is evil, and the government should do more to make my life easier.


For me, I intend to live out my “purpose statements” for life and work which you can read at many places in this blog site as I stive to "Finish Well." 


In the meantime, enjoy your work today. We are blessed to have another day, so make the most of it!

3mo • Edited Since I live alone in the Ozark mountains, I spend a lot of time living in my head. Surround by God’s creation and beauty, the seclusion and solitude afford me the opportunities for reflection on a lot of things.The following is just one of them i.e., thinking about the role of work, and what it means to be an employeeHaving served (and presently serving) in both occupations, I’ve had an opportunity to consider the question posted above at an up-close and personal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment