Monday, February 5, 2018

The Difficulty Of Change


In just a few days, I will travel to meet with some, potentially, courageous individuals in Bulgaria. I will be spending a couple of weeks working with educators, business people, young aspiring entrepreneurs along with local government personnel. The overarching purpose of this trip is to have a positive impact on economic development and growth which will require CHANGE in each of the disciplines listed.  

I invite you to follow me during this trip by way of twitter Bill Lewis@BillLewisArksaw and Facebook

The reason I classify them as "potentially" courageous is because they have
not yet stepped over the line to commitment to change. A commitment to think and act differently. At present they are a group who are a mix of intrigued, interested  (and...even a bit excited) people. But to change, that takes courage. 

A large portion of my professional career required me to be intimately associated with change i.e. organizational change and personal/professional development. I worked at the highest levels inside business working toward improvement through a change process and then cascading those concepts and practices down through every level touching almost every employee.

I wish I could say I was 100% successful in the change process with every group I met with. But it's an undeniable fact, that was not the case. Why? I'll be the first to admit my short comings as a consultant. I can give you a list if you'd enjoy witnessing my self flogging. But the primary reason for failure of the process was the unwillingness of people to change. Here are some of the biggest reasons why people would vehemently resist change.

1.) Fear. 
     Fear of failure, criticism or judgment from others, including the boss. Fear of losing what they have now i.e. security, the known versus the unknown. Fear of challenging the "system." Fearing they may be asked to do more or something different.

2.) Satisfied with status quo.  
     It's the reason why organizations (and individuals) can never go from (as Jim Collins describes) "Good to Great."  The acceptance of "good enough" gives no incentive to change.

3.) Excessive pride or self confidence. Pomposity - Hubris.
     These characteristics manifest it's self primarily from the "Boss."  Presidents, department heads, supervisors, etc. But, I've seen it in many rank-n-file personnel as well. I never understood why top executives would ask me to come in and help them and their businesses, and then discount almost every recommended action. I'm firmly convinced it was because they were such "know it all's" and so full of themselves. Their puffed up behavior was, in many cases, the reason for the organizational disfunction to begin with. 

4.) Lack of education and training.
     Not lack of training on their job, but the lack of institutional training in problem solving, innovation, risk taking, basic economical understanding etc. 

5.) Lack of positive reinforcement
     When people take a risk. When people try. When they succeed at the lowliest task, we should be celebrating! I've watched people step out (sometimes for the first time) and try something new and different, waiting to see the reaction from others. What reaction did they get? Nothing! You don't have to exert a lot of effort or much money to acknowledge someones willingness to make an extra attempt. 

So, what should you do? 
A) Every leader of influence should observe the behavior of people they are responsible for.
B) They should examine the culture of the organization that may hinder organizational or individual growth.
C) They should examine themselves and their behavior. What impact do they have which promotes or discourages growth?
D) What is causing people to not step up and add value because of their unwillingness to change

Part of my job these coming weeks, along with my partners from Coles College of Business at Kennesaw State University, is to help this group in Bulgaria cross over the line from curious to committed to a change process. To help them find the courage to overcome. To think different and to act different in order to succeed and....
Finish Well

No comments:

Post a Comment